From : [log in to unmask]
Date : 14/10/2015 - 22:21 (GMTDT)
To : [log in to unmask]
Subject : Re: cataloging quesiton

Hey Rick,

I think adding coordinates is the same as adding a scale. If they're given, great. If they're not given, you can still work out the info and provide it in the metadata. Tools like http://boundingbox.klokantech.com/ make that pretty easy for coordinates.

RDA rule 7.4.2.2 Longitude and Latitude says:
Sources of Information
Take information on longitude and latitude from any source within the resource.
If information on longitude and latitude is not provided within the resource, take the information from any source.

My inclination for your 1 map, 2 map situation is to just add the second scale fields with a note indicating what's going on. I know we tend to overthink all the details but I'd just try to work with the record in hand and move on. Why clutter up OCLC with duplicate records when it's most likely an oversite by the original cataloger. Of course, that depends on the date and importance of the map, etc.

I often put stuff like this aside until the next day and for some reason the solution always seems clearer with the second (third or fourth) pass.

Best of luck.

Angie