From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Ratliff, Louise <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MAPS-L] cataloging quesiton

Hi Rick,

I’ll offer some opinions.

I would say that these are 2 maps because 1) they are on opposite sides of the sheet and 2) they have different scales.  The panel title covers them both.  Then you can have a contents note and supply titles for each of the 2 sides, enclosed in brackets to indicate they do not appear on the maps.  And also record the two scales, of course. A question though, is there some kind of marking to indicate that one is an extension of the other?  If so, maybe my next option would work.

There is another option that I probably would not use, which is to say in the 255 “Scale varies.”  This is usually applied to maps such as bird’s-eye views where there is perspective, so that the foreground is in a larger scale than the background.  I’ve never used this to describe your case, though.

Second, regarding coordinates, I often provide coordinates that are not marked on the map itself.  I use the Klokan Bounding Box tool to put a box around my region, and then read the coordinates.  This is a reasonably accurate way of providing coordinates that might be useful to the user.  So no, there is not a requirement that the coordinates in the bib record appear directly on the map.  http://boundingbox.klokantech.com/

Bounding Box Tool: Metadata Enrichment for Catalogue ...
Bounding Box Tool for Metadata Enrichment Visual selection of the latitude / longitude coordinates for geotagging of a bibliographic record for cartographic documents

Bottom line, though, is that you may use cataloger’s judgement in how you choose to describe your map.  It seems that the bib record you found needs to be modified according to the option you choose.  Either change the extent in the 300 field, or change the scale note.

Hope this helps!

Louise

P.S. Paige is on vacation this week, and is not connected to the internet.  Good for him!