From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Dennis Matthews
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2015 12:13 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: BLM Surface Management Status for various U.S. states

Happy Friday to All,

I need guidance on assigning a subject number for the BLM Surface Management Status maps for various U.S. states.  I've been looking through OCLC and other library catalogs to see what's there and the number varies between .G4 (Land. Land use. Land capabilities and classification), .G46 (Cadastral maps. Land ownership. Real property), and .G5 (Public lands).  I know subject usage helps determine classification but these vary from record to record, hence the difference in classification numbers I'm seeing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis G. Matthews
Library & Archives Paraprofessional 6
Western Washington University
Western Libraries
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA  98225
Telephone: 360.650.3098 (Collection Services--Cataloging Dept.)
                     360.650.3272 (Map Collection)
Fax: 360.650.3044