Folks,

While I’m getting ready to leave town for the Thanksgiving weekend, I see that my name appears in the previous attachment.  Anyway, while the data from Census is good, at times it’s not good enough for dot-sized reservations nor for the off-reservation tribal trust lands.  I recommend checking with the folks at BLM to get quality regional or state-wide coverage.  As for prior to 1900, I presume that you’re using the maps by Charles Royce.  Again, while he conducted excellent research to produce those 67 maps, problems do exist: he trusted that the T&R linework was straighter than it was; he did not have good knowledge of drainage divides (especially the continental divide); lack of edge-matching between some of the state maps was off; and unlike ratified treaties, unratified treaties often did not have surveyed boundaries so he had to guess.

Contact me next week regarding any questions that you have.

Cheers,

Dan

Daniel G. Cole, GISP

GIS Coordinator & Chief Cartographer