I recently discovered hundreds of maps/charts that had been stored under the floor of my library in 1992.
Most date to the 1950's and 1960's but some are older. They were donated by an ichthiologist (fish) and a phycologist (algae), so deal primarily with coastal regions.

I would like to find good homes for the maps - very few relate to our collection.

There is no inventory, but one roll included a hand written list of a 'drawer's" contents. I have attached the three page list as an example of the scale, scope and subject of the maps.

I am the only librarian in a small special library at a remote marine station on the West Coast of Canada. I am not a map librarian and don't have the capacity to inventory the maps available. Any advice about how to deal with this find would be appreciated.

For now, I have organized the maps/charts into geographical groups.

By far the largest group (hundreds) are for Alaska, including one whole roll of maps of the Alaska Pipeline.

Other groups include:
-Africa
-Chile and Argentina
-Coasts of Washington, Oregon, California and the Gulf of Mexico
-Indonesia
-Japan
-Middle East and Indian Ocean
-North Pacific Ocean
-Northern coast of British Columbia (Canada)
-Northern Canada and the Mackenzie River
-South Pacific and Hawaii
-USA Railway Maps
-Vancouver Island (Canada)
-Vancouver city area (Canada)
-World

There are also:
- a large rolled atlas called: Landuse Information Series
- a large wall/hanging map of Korea in Korean.

Please let me know if you are interested in the further contents of any of these groups.
All advice/suggestions welcome.

Sincerely,
Beth

--