Like Chris, I fear that Julie is misinterpreting the term "first published".

'First published' refers to the original issuance of a specfic edition/revision etc of a particular sheet. It does not refer to the first issuance of ANY sheet in a series for the purpose of determining the copyright status of the series as a whole. Otherwise you end up with a series begun in the 1950s being public domain by Julie's interpretation, even down to the editions of sheets that are only now rolling off the press and the publisher is trying to sell! That simply doesn't make sense.

copyright is intended to protect the commercial interest of a publisher, by giving him a set but finite period in which he alone can publish the item (unless he decides to waive or on-sell his rights).

So 'First published' really means that if a particular sheet is reissued/reprinted later, with no other change (so it's not a new edition or a revision of an already-published edition), then the copyright date remains that of the original issue. In other words, if a specific edition of a sheet sells out, and the publisher reprints it, this act of reprinting does not revise the copyright date. So a publisher can't use the physical act of reprinting to keep something in copyright eternally, anymore than a publisher can do this with a book (otherwise Shakespeare would still be in copyright as his works have never gone out of print!)

In Australia, all government-produced maps (by *any* government, local, state, federal or foreign) is in copyright for 50 years from date of original publication. So like in Britain, a map produced on or before 31 Dec 1965 is public domain in Australia from and after 1 Jan 2016.
Maps produced by non-government publishers have a 50 year copyright period if they were produced before 1955, and 70 years if published after 1955 (the extra 20 years being the result of the 'Mickey Mouse' clause of a US 'free trade' deal with us in 2005, that added 20 years to anything not already public domain).

Also, Rick and Julie should be ocnsidering the copyright law of the country they are in, not the law in the country that produced the map. Julie should be considering US copyright law if she intends scanning and making the scans available through a US-based website (BTW, what is the US copyright period for government produced maps?), irrespective of the place of publication or  the country of residence of the copyright holder.
Of course, it is always good manners, and politic, to check with a foreign government first in case they have a different copyright period, and would prefer if something otherwise public domain in your country, was not made available until the copyright expired in their own country.
If the UK period of 50 years is longer than the US period, then Julie can technically scan and make available any maps that are public domain according to US law, but risks losing UK publisher goodwill and making criminals of any UK residents who access the material on her website.
If the UK period (50 years) is shorter than the US period, then US law forbids her to make copies of maps younger than the US period, even if already public domain in the UK, unless she has permission to do so from the original copyright holder (UK National Archives or a specific govt agency).

I'd be interested to know what the copyright periods are for maps in the US and Canada, both by govt and by non-govt publishers...

Brendan Whyte
National Library of Australia