I know essentially nothing about ArcGIS Online, but
from what I read it might be a good option for you.
I would like to hear the experience of others with
ArcGIS Online, including yourself if you use it.

If you want to serve up the maps in a format where the
user can interact with the map, then QGIS Server is a
free option.  QGIS Server is relatively difficult to
get going, and I have not made the effort yet to get it
running.  But it's on my list of things to do.

Mike