Might also take a look at "Taking possession: the cartouche as cultural text in eighteenth-century American maps" by G. Clark: http://xroads.virginia.edu/~DRBR/clarke/clarke.html . There are any number of other discussions, but this one is readily accessible, although it is not dealing with cataloging terminology and the linked illustrations are of limited value (the ones Angie notes from the Rumsey site are infinitely better).

                    Joel Kovarsky