Hi all,

I have a patron looking for the specific satellite images of northern Africa that were mentioned in Hardin’s Tragedy of the Commons http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/TragedyoftheCommons.html. I’m thinking these were probably ERTS/Landsat 1 images and I have found 4 scenes in North Africa from 1973 through the LandsatLook Viewer that I will show him. However, he was looking for a citation or illustration showing the 390 square miles area mentioned by Hardin, rather than having to analyze the scenes himself. I was wondering if anyone knew of these specific scenes Hardin references or the “ground-level investigation” that was conducted?

(Our copy of the 1977 edition of “Managing the Commons” is in offsite storage, but I’ve requested it to see if there is more detail in it.)

Thank you for your thoughts!

-Katie

Katie Lage

Head and Map Librarian, Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library

Associate Professor

Sciences Department, University Libraries

184 UCB

University of Colorado Boulder

Boulder, CO 80309

303-735-4917