From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jon Jablonski
Sent: Monday, May 23, 2016 6:58 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Comments about Carlos's comments

Well yes, noncitizens and immigrant citizens alike cannot become president.  However, I agree that noncitizen is not a specific enough term.  A noncitizen is everyone who isn't a citizen of a country, whether they live there or not.  It implies neither legal nor undocumented status.

It is SUPER interesting that we are now in a comment period for an LCSH change that has hit the national news cycle.  I can't remember that happening before.

Did any of LC's previous announcement say 'undocumented immigrants'?  Here's the relevant text from March 22:

[we'll change it to]  "Noncitizens and Unauthorized immigration, which may be assigned together to describe resources about people who illegally reside in a country."

That seems ungainly.  Again, why not just use the widely used colloquial undocumented immigrants?

Jon Jablonski
Spatial Data Librarian
Map & Imagery Lab
UCSB Library