The subject line of this post is taken from an op-ed in today's NY Times: <http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/01/opinion/new-orleans-new-flood-maps-an-outline-for-disaster.html?ribbon-ad-idx=6&rref=opinion>. From the piece:

"According to new maps issued by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, even vast areas of the city that are below sea level — including parts of the Lower Ninth Ward, Lakeview and New Orleans East that sat under 10 feet of water after Hurricane Katrina — need not worry about the next storm.

But as a historian of disasters, I know that FEMA’s maps offer a myopic view of New Orleans’s vulnerability. They threaten to put thousands of people at greater risk, and offer more ominous evidence of our country’s stumbling efforts to reckon with climate change."

               Joel Kovarsky