It's the weekend. Have some fun! Read a fun article!

-a-

From: Priscilla Coit Murphy <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Saturday, June 11, 2016 4:48 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SHARP-L] Sea-going Libraries

Below, the Washington Post's charming if brief survey of contemporary cruise-ship libraries.   Gratifying to know at least the Cunard line preserves a tradition I wouldn't have thought of, though it makes perfect sense.  A grandfather once mentioned reading in the ship's library when everyone else was seasick.  At the time, I believe I was only curious how they kept the books shelved during a storm.

Reading this article led me Google a few things for diversion more than academic intent, and I began to come across a few archival items, such as a ship's introductory booklet on the original QE 1, encouraging guests to use the library "at no charge."  I'm sure there's more out there about such  libraries - has anyone come across a study of any kind?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/which-cruise-ship-library-is-right-for-you/2016/06/08/b8ba713a-ff45-11e5-9203-7b8670959b88_story.html

Priscilla Coit Murphy, Ph.D.
Watertown, MA