Miami University Libraries
Oxford, OH  45056  USA

513-529-1726

On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM, Malcomb, Lou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I like the idea.  In researching maps about the Civil War I ran across a citation to A manual of topographical drawing. by Lieut. R.S.. Smith.  (Richard Somers), 1813-1877. 1854.  It was used at West Point to teach mapping.  I found it quite interesting, appreciating the instruction on the use of pencils—something many of us rarely use these days.  It is in the HathiTrust online.   http://hdl.handle.net/2027/chi.086404745

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Michael Holt
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: The old ways

Today I was loaned all three volumes of The Boy Mechanic.  They were published in 1913, 1915, and 1919.  In Book 2 the first article is "Plane Table Surveying," by Harold G. McGee.  This one is the only thing I have found so far about maps, but from a two-minute glance at each of them, drafting and drafting tools are a part of being a boy a century ago. Might there be any interest in republishing articles like this, about how to make maps at home?  I can imagine it being done in some high schools.

I'll try to have the pages copied (my scanner is dead), but I will have these books for only a few days.

Michael Holt

Image removed by sender.