Dear Christopher,

   As one of the past chairs of the IFLA Geography and Map Libraries Section, I attended the “last” meeting of the Section in Milan, August 2009.  Anita Oser and I tried for several years to keep the G&M Section going, but our terms of office expired, and we had to sit out 2 years.  By that time, 2011,  there was no one in charge and IFLA closed the G&M Section.   I attended the 2014 meeting in Lyon and found some support for a section devoted to geography and maps.  However the concern still was the expense.  There needs to be a substantial program to justify paying the high registration fee and travel expenses. It was in South Africa again last year and Krakow, Poland next year.   This year it is ideally located in Columbus, Ohio, with several local programs offered by OCLC on their home campus.

   I will be at the SLA Annual Conference in Philadelphia next week.  We are celebrating 75 years of Map Libraries, June 14, 2016.  If anyone else would like to talk about IFLA, please contact me there.

   Attached is our session flyer.  75th Anniversary booklets have been printed, official highway maps collected, and the luncheon set ($35.00 complete).

   Hope we can keep the discussion going on keeping our profession active.

David C. McQuillan

Thomas Cooper Library

University of South Carolina

1322 Greene Street