Here are the results on the proposals and discussion papers I thought would
be of interest to the cartographic cataloging community from the meetings
of the MARC Advisory Committee.

MARC proposal 2016-06: Defining field 347 (Digital File Characteristics) in
> the MARC 21 Holdings Format. Field 347 is defined in the bibliographic
> format. Defining the field in the holdings format will allow those
> libraries that follow the provider-neutral guidelines to record differences
> in characteristics between providers in the holdings record, allowing the
> bibliographic record to stay provider neutral.

This proposal passed so once it's implemented by LC and OCLC, we can use
field 347 in the holdings record.

> MARC discussion paper 2016-dp17: Redefining subfield $4 to encompass URIs
> for relationships in the MARC 21 Authority and Bibliographic Formats.The
> paper explores some alternatives to defining the $4 but isn't satisfied
> with any of them. Redefining $4 will require some redefinition of the
> subfield in those fields that currently have $4 defined.

This discussion paper met with general support and will come back as a
proposal.

> MARC discussion paper no. 2016-dp20: Recording temporary sublocation and
> temporary shelving location in the MARC 21 Holdings Format. This proposes
> adding $k (Temporary sublocation or collection) and redefining $l
> (Temporary location) in the 87x field so that the fields for items are the
> same as for the holdings field 852.

This discussion paper was met with general support and was converted to a
proposal at the meeting. The proposal passed.

> MARC discussion paper no. 2016-21: Defining subfields $e and $4 in field
> 752 of the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format. This would allow the recording of
> relator terms and relator codes in field 752 (Added Entry - Hierarchical
> Place Name) to provide further information as to why the place is recorded.

This discussion paper was also converted into a proposal and passed.

> MARC discussion paper 2016-dp22: Defining a new subfield in field 340 to
> record color content in the MARC 21 Bibliographic Format. Since RDA now
> requires catalogers to indicate the presence of color, tone, etc. in the
> bibliographic record (RDA7.17.1.4), there's a need for a place to record
> this information. Field 340 (Physical medium) has subfields defined for
> material properties of resources.

This discussion paper will be coming back as a proposal.

We had a very full slate and managed to get everything done.

Susan Moore
University of Northern Iowa
Cedar Falls, IA  50613