Kathy,
I don't have measures right now since I'm at home, but when I was designing the library at PSU one of the things our facilities folks reminded me is that there are parameters for handicap accessibility that needed to be taken into consideration so you might want to check with folks there to make sure you are meeting those, at a minimum.

I'll measure what we have at the AGSL tomorrow.

Marcy