Hi Allison,

   I just consulted with our conservation expert here at UCLA, and here is what she suggests:

I would recommend the librarian have the rare parchment map professionally re-housed by NEDCC, a regional conservation outfit in the Boston area.

https://www.nedcc.org/paper-conservation-at-nedcc/about

At a minimum acid free paper materials and some rigid support for handling should be used in the housing, but there are many factors. If the media (colors and writing) on the parchment is at all flaky or powdery, nothing with static electricity should come near it. Mylar has lots of static electricity.  If researchers need access to both sides, specialized mounts should be considered for safe turning of the map.

The link below is highly technical and related directly to issues for housing parchment.

http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Parchment_(PCC)#18.4.13_Housing

Best,

Louise

Louise Ratliff

Social Sciences and Map Catalog Librarian
UCLA Library Cataloging & Metadata Center
11020 Kinross Ave.
Box 957230
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7230
(310)206-5853