Hi All-

I'm the Review Editor for the "Atlas and Book Review" section of the WAML Information Bulletin. I'm seeking reviewers for the following two books (descriptions for these books are taken from Amazon):

Exploring and Mapping Alaska: The Russian America Era, 1741-1867 (Rasmuson Library Historic Translation), by Alexey Postnikov (Author), Marvin Falk (Author), Lydia Black (Translator), University of Alaska Press, 2015, 978-1602232518.

Russia first encountered Alaska in 1741 as part of the most ambitious and expensive expedition of the entire eighteenth century. For centuries since, cartographers have struggled to define and develop the enormous region comprising northeastern Asia, the North Pacific, and Alaska. The forces of nature and the follies of human error conspired to make the area incredibly difficult to map.

Exploring and Mapping Alaska focuses on this foundational period in Arctic cartography. Russia spurred a golden era of cartographic exploration, while shrouding their efforts in a veil of secrecy. They drew both on old systems developed by early fur traders and new methodologies created in Europe. With Great Britain, France, and Spain following close behind, their expeditions led to an astounding increase in the world's knowledge of North America.

Through engrossing descriptions of the explorations and expert navigators, aided by informative illustrations, readers can clearly trace the evolution of the maps of the era, watching as a once-mysterious region came into sharper focus. The result of years of cross-continental research, Exploring and Mapping Alaska is a fascinating study of the trials and triumphs of one of the last great eras of historic mapmaking.

Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach by Emilio Chuvieco (Author), CRC Press, 2016, 978-1498728058.
Fundamentals of Satellite Remote Sensing: An Environmental Approach, Second Edition is a definitive guide to remote sensing systems that focuses on satellite-based remote sensing tools and methods for space-based Earth observation (EO). It presents the advantages of using remote sensing data for studying and monitoring the planet, and emphasizes concepts that make the best use of satellite data. It details the tools that provide global, recurrent, and comprehensive views of the processes affecting the Earth and is a must-have for researchers, academics, students, and professionals involved in the field of environmental science.

Deadline will be the end of October for reviews. (I will send you more specifics if wind up reviewing one of these books). Please contact me off-list if you're interested and I'll send you the book, the reviewer guidelines, and a due date.

Thanks-

Ilene

Ilene Raynes
Jerry Crail Johnson Earth Sciences & Map Library
Sciences Department, University Libraries
University of Colorado Boulder
184 UCB
Boulder, CO 80309
303-492-4487