From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Kathy Stroud <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2016 3:57 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: USGS Topo map survey, and an FYI

All,

The superseded guidelines for FDLP are at https://www.fdlp.gov/file-repository/historical-publications/superseded-list-and-guidelines.

Now, regarding different publishers, that's somewhat vague.  All the US and territories topographic maps issued by the USGS are superseded by the next edition that is the same scale.  Some of the more recent 7.5' were  issued under that USGS series SuDoc call number, but the USFS paid for updating.  (If you were cataloging using LC classification, you might have assigned these to a different series/set.) I believe that these superseded their earlier ones and Regionals were allowed to get rid of the older edition.  I don’t know if GPO ever officially ruled on this.  The wrinkle is that there have been a few dozen 7.5’ topos issued through FDLP with a USFS call number since the USGS stopped printing topos in 2009(?).  Logically, you would expect these to replace the USGS ones, but since they were issued under a different SuDoc number, I don’t think they technically qualify.  We’ve been keeping both the new map and the older map, since many of these are Oregon and they’re not taking up much additional space.

Regarding those 15’ 1:50,000 DMA red-light readable topo maps, I’m not sure they came through the FDLP.  Ours are not stamped with a depository stamp and DMA ran their own map depository program until sometime in the 1980s when they started participating in the FDLP.  If these were not issued through the FDLP, the FDLP Regionals are not required to keep the latest print edition.  Additionally, they may not even have the series.

For non-documents librarians, the current situation is:

1)      The 46 FDLP Regional depositories are currently required to keep the most recent print edition of USGS (and those post 2009 USFS 7.5’) topographic maps.

2)      Regionals are not required to keep the older editions of the topo maps once a new edition is printed.

3)      If you are getting rid of maps that are stamped with a Federal Depository stamp (which they should have if they were received through the FDLP) check with your Documents Librarian to make sure you are following appropriate procedures.

4)      DMA and USGS topographic maps printed prior to October 1, 1984 were probably not issued through the FDLP (Larsgaard’s Map Librarianship says that is when DMA and USGS joined the FDLP.  NOS joined 1988.) These maps are not necessarily held by regional depositories.

5)      We are more at risk of losing access to the DMA and some of the older USGS map series than the 7.5’ paper series.  The older USGS maps have been digitized, but I haven’t found a free, online source for the DMA maps.  (I’m waffling on whether to get rid of these for areas outside our region).

The above is my current understanding of the situation.  I admit that I haven’t been working as closely with documents librarians as I used to, and I may not have the latest info.  I do know that there is talk about not requiring all regionals to maintain all copies, not only of maps but of other types of documents.  So far, nothing has been implemented.

Kathy