The Map Room

Very exciting to see the post in the Map Room about Marie Tharp and the article in JSTOR Daily about her. I did an exhibit at the University of Arizona about her a few years ago, http://www.library.arizona.edu/news/entries/view/2801. I love the graphic we used for the announcement about the exhibit! An amazing woman!

Chris

From: noreply+[log in to unmask] [mailto:noreply+[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2016 4:48 AM
To: Kollen, Christine E - (kollen) <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: The Map Room

The Map Room

Hazard Maps of Yukon Communities

Image removed by sender. Old Crow Landscape Hazard Risk Map (detail).Old Crow Landscape Hazard Risk Map (detail).

Several Yukon communities are built on permafrost. In the context of climate change, that’s something of a problem. CBC News reports on a six-year research project that has produced hazard maps of seven Yukon communities; the maps evaluate the risk to future development from permafrost melting, flooding and ground instability. [CCA]

Marie Tharp’s Scholarly Work

This short profile of Marie Tharp — the third I’ve seen this year — is notable in that it’s at JSTOR Daily, and links to two of the research papers she co-authored with Bruce Heezen (both of which appear free to access, but require a JSTOR account). Direct links here and here. [WMS]