Brendan,

In the United States you can trademark a projection and Buckminster Fuller is the one example of this that comes readily to mind.  The Dymaxion map projection is trademarked and you must contact the Institute to use it.  You can read that here: https://www.bfi.org/about-fuller/big-ideas/dymaxion-world/dymaxion-map .

Stanford holds the Fuller archives.  We spoke to the folks at the Buckminister Fuller Institute about putting the projection into the public domain to encourage wider usage, but were not able to convince them of the worth of this move.

Best,

Julie

****

Julie Sweetkind-Singer

Assistant Director of Geospatial and Cartographic Services

Head, Branner Earth Sciences Map Library & Map Collections

397 Panama Mall, 2nd floor

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305

650-725-1102