________________________________
From: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Virginia R Hetrick PhD <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2016 1:07 AM
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship
Subject: Re: MAPS-L Digest - 11 Dec 2016 to 12 Dec 2016 (#2016-238)

Hi, Theresa -

You might want to check with Epson (Long Beach, Ca., right between DeVry University where I used to be a Dean and SCAN health insurance which now pays for my medical events) and Canon (the people I talked to there were in the Carolinas).  They each have marketing squads in their main US locations who are very knowledgeable the range of scanners they have available.  And, when I've gotten involved with both at different times, I wound up with very good choices for my clients.

You mentioned difficulties with your software.  One thing I've done is to isolate my scanning from ALL other image handling activity.  This has added great benefits to my photography.

So, for my personal work, I have a Canon that I picked up in 1991 for $69 at Staples.  I have updated the software persistently and it still works just fine and has done for the last 27 years through five different operating systems and four different computers.  The next trick will be to see whether the software will run on a 64-bit system when I upgrade to Win10 Pro next year.  Last summer, I picked up a very cheap ($67) 3in1 printer so it has a copier/scanner built in.  If I need a 300dpi image, I do it on the 3in1.  If I need a higher resolution, I do it on the Canon.  I always make any image that will be printed as a .PNG image for two reasons: in my view, the color fidelity is much better than .JPG images; and, I am not cursed with the persistence of the dots so much.

Hope this helps.

virginia

Virginia R. Hetrick, here in sunny California
Email:  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
"There is always hope."
My fave:  http://www.washington.edu/cambots/camera1_l.jpg
There's no place like:  34N 8' 25.38", 117W 58' 5.16"
if you can't be at:  48N 7' 4.54" 122W 45' 50.95"
Remember, the US Naval Academy is back to teaching
celestial navigation, again!  "Why?" you ask.
Because hackers can't foul it up like they can GPS.