About 6 months ago we replaced our old scanner/print combo with a 36" Widetek. Our model has been pretty reliable. I find that the software is fairly easy to use and intuitive for straight-forward jobs, but is not great for customization (for example, batch jobs require a different piece of more complicated software and I haven't yet figured out a way to pre-specify the dimensions of the scan job).

Our digital imaging lab purchased a 48" Widetek model about the same time and they have had some issues with scanning encapsulated materials, but I believe they are working with Widetek on a solution (Mylar actually scans pretty well on ours).

-Susan

ps: It's a small thing, but.one thing that the Widetek lacks which I miss is printed guide lines to help make sure the the map scans straight.