Producing this vector data would be a fantastic project.  We have aerial photography that would support such an effort, but we don’t have enough labor to spin up such a project.

Using the Sanborns as basemaps would be perfect for the building layers.  Airphotos for streets would be good.

But it’s a sizable city.  If you wanted a well drawn and attributed street grid, that might cost a few tens-of-thousands of dollars to produce from photos.  It would be cheaper, although still quite a project, to vectorize a street map from the same time period.  I have a Bekins Moving map from 1935 that would be appropriate (but it’s not scanned yet).  Pulling a number totally out of thin air: that’s a 200 hour project.  Cheaper still, start with contemporary street data and edit it to down to match an old map.  That might cut the time down to under 100 hours.

I’m semi-familiar with what the area looked like in the time period.  The Port of LA and Long Beach, aka Terminal Island, changed A LOT during this time period.  The end of the LA River is already channelized by the time the 1925 Wilmington topo is produced, but Los Cerritos is still kind of a standalone enclave.  And—holy smokes—there’s a racist place name on the 1924 Compton 1:24k quad.  What is now called the Dominguez Channel was called, I shit you not, “Gardena Valley and N----- Slough Channel.”

                http://arcg.is/2hEXKP5

Jon Jablonski

Director, Interdisciplinary Research Collaboratory

Spatial Data Librarian

UC Santa Barbara Library