Your last sentence is oh so true David! And our staff sitting on desks everywhere rely on our work being accurate and complete but also on decisions made about indexed data and what to display as well as how it is displayed (for clarity/understandability). This is something that will always be under discussion between my cataloging department and our public services colleagues, and for good reason.

Paige

From: "David J. Bertuca" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 11:53:06 AM
Subject: Re: cataloguing question

Good point. I was going to mention that our system(s) didn’t always index all the fields. Somewhere along the line, decisions as to which fields would be indexed, and displayed, were made and 7xx title related fields didn’t always make the list. in reference, some of this was considered “too much” detail to display, and some of the decision was made based on index size and space issues. We were always guaranteed that the 24x fields would be there. This did affect some of the policies and decisions (though in most cases, it was decided to add all fields possible, especially when originally cataloging so that our records were complete for quality purposes).

Thinking back, there were many practices that were done to accommodate output (such as what cards are produced, how they display), and some of this transferred to the online environment, for good or bad, based on experiences of the past. We were discussing some of the old ways yesterday that were followed and why. It is sometimes hard to keep the correct rules, and institutional interpretations separate.

I expect now, that some of these are not issues anymore, though I know what displays is still a concern with reference librarians.

David J. Bertuca, Map Librarian

Science and Engineering Information Center

116 Lockwood Memorial Library

University at Buffalo

Buffalo, NY 14260-2200

716-645-1332 / 716-645-3859 (fax)

Liaison to the Geography Department for GIS and Physical Geography