Hi Caroline,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but here is a link
to one of our USGS publications on the "History of the Topographic Mapping
Branch " that you can download
https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1341/pdf/circ_1341.pdf

I have also provided a link to our USGS Historic Quadrangle Mapping
Project, where we have scanned the majority of maps that we have made over
time: http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/ alternatively you may find
historic maps here: https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/maps/TopoView/

This may provide you with the information that you are looking for. If you
need something else please let me know.

Cheers,

Tom

--