Ifigenia,

It is a policy decision at the local level, the cataloger (perhaps in tandem with the map librarian) needs to decide first which is the predominant resource, the book or the maps. Sometimes that is pretty straightforward, a book is about a broad topic and the maps truly serve as illustration or enhancement to visually show the geographic area(s) involved, in which case one catalogs the book and uses 300$e as you denoted to indicate the maps as accompanying material (and then if one wishes to bring out specifics about one or both maps uses 500 notes). However, if the book/booklet seems to be something like a guide or similar resource supporting the maps, or explanatory text specific for use with the maps, then catalog the maps and use a linking field to share the relationship with the maps to the specifics of the book. This is usually done using the MARC 773 Host Item Entry field, the definition of the field is pretty clear about its use in such an instance. This field also allows for specific information regarding the book that the cataloger wishes to share to be brought forth as well.

Paige

From: "ΙΦΙΓΕΝΕΙΑ ΒΑΡΔΑΚΩΣΤΑ" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 4:24:14 AM
Subject: cataloguing question

Dear all, Happy New Year!

A question for the cataloguing process:

I have a book which has two separate maps in it. Each one has its own title and scale e.t.c.

Should we catalogue each map separately?  And use 770 (? Or what else?) to link it with the book?

Or should we follow the simple “+ 2 maps in folder” (there are records in that form).

I believe this is a policy choice but I would like to hear your opinion and how you manage a case like this.

Thanks in advance

Ifigenia Vardakosta

Harokopio University

Library & Information Centre