Hi Gwen,

I believe from an LC perspective "synthetic" is now the preferred term in the 300$b, and thus code it the same in the 007. I know how you feel, this is dissecting things a little too much, but then if the "paper" is really a paper/plastic mixed material for making the map waterproof and tear-resistant then it makes sense to move in that direction. Earlier maps were paper that was then somehow treated with a plastic-like coating I believe. I don't know the specific differences between "plastic", "plastic-treated" and "plastic-coated" really.

Paige

From: "Curtis, Gwen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:10:35 PM
Subject: Waterproof maps

I recently received a number of Reise Know-How road maps that are described as "rip and waterproof."  I've seen these described in various records as plastic, plastic-coated, and synthetic.  The 007 field for maps gives the option of synthetic, plastic, and vinyl.  Can anyone give me an idea as to what type of material these actually are and what the 007 should be?

Gwen Curtis
Map Collection
410C Science and Engineering Library
University of Kentucky Libraries