Hi Jim,

The World Resources Institute (which I'm not familiar with) has page with urban/agricultural shapefiles for download.

http://www.wri.org/resources/data-sets/kenya-gis-data

Their metadata indicates that the shapefiles were derived from the Africover project.

http://www.glcn.org/activities/africover_en.jsp

I'm not sure if the scale of these data will be appropriate for what the researcher is trying to study. If all else fails there's supervised/unsupervised classification of higher resolution satellite imagery (if available).

Hope that helps!

Kevin R Dyke
Spatial Data Librarian
Maps & Spatial Data, Edmon Low Library