Could it be from the National Burial Index?

Mark S. Johnson, PMP
703-507-8008

On 17Mar17, at 11:54 PM, Becky Lowery <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hi all,

I had a request from a patron about a numeric code used in the UK that has me baffled.  See below. Any ideas?

"I have had no success -- at Ordinance Survey England or the AGS Library in
Milwaukee -- in finding out about the information shown below.  THANKS !! TED

Example Place-Name Numeric Code
Within Listed County/Shire
of England, United Kingdom

1656724   Bedfordshire
1656895   Bedfordshire
1657228   Berkshire
1662367   Dorset
1665875   Hampshire
1667135   Hertfordshire
1668081   Kent
1675271   Somerset
1675714   Somerset
1675734   Somerset
1677346   Suffolk
1679186   Warwickshire
1679336   Westmoreland

What is the name of this coding system ?
Does it apply to all places in the United Kingdom ?
Is it keyed to sheet numbers of an OS series ?
Is a "gazetteer" found on-line ?
Is a "gazetteer" found in a printed source ?
Anyplace still use the system ?"

Does anyone recognize the code that is being used here.  I have literally done a google search on the fist number county pair and it does show up in some old genealogical records if that suggests anything to anyone.

Thanks,

Becky Lowery
Reference Librarian
Newberry Library
60 W. Walton Street, Chicago, IL 60610
www.newberry.org

Thursday, Friday, Saturday

Gifts to the Annual Fund help preserve the Newberry's collection and make it accessible to the thousands of people who use the Newberry each year. Learn more or make a gift at:   www.newberry.org/donate-now