Paige (et al.):

The Falk-Plan series of hyperbolic (varying) projection town/city plans (largest scale in centre, decreasing outwards) has been known about – and catered for in AACR2 and/or ISBD(CM) (in UK, at least!) cataloguing rules – for decadesJ ‘Scale varies’ is the usefully near-correct statement, explained/expanded in a note on scale variation tied to this projection’s ‘peculiar’ qualities somewhere . . .

Francis (ex-member of AACR2, ISBD(CM) etc. committees in UK)

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Paige G. Andrew
Sent: 04 April 2017 19:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Falk-Verlag (Hamburg, Germany) city maps with more than one scale

Perfect example of a "scale varies" situation Heiko, thank you so much!

So, what would one do if the actual representative fraction scale statements were not given on the map? One of the four standard phrases we catalogers can supply is "Scale varies" which would fit that situation. It would be a map like this but no RFs for the range of scale are given. Thankfully, it is pretty rare!

"Scales differ" is a different story altogether -- use when one is faced with three or more main maps and the scale of each is different from the others. [when you have two main maps and each is at a different scale then you provide each in its own 255/034 field]

Paige