________________________________
From: MCQUILLAN, DAVID <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2017 1:45:45 PM
To: Angela R Cope; Alexander B. Murphy
Subject: Salute Mary Murphy at 100! (for Maps-L)

Monday, August 14, 2017 is Mary Murphy’s 100th birthday.  Let us all raise a toast to her on that day.  She is truly the “God Mother” of our profession.

I can try to send a copy of the tribute her nephew, Alec Murphy, has created or contact him directly at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> .  I am sure the family will be pleased to see the support Mary has in the profession.

I saved several pieces of her 100th birthday cake from the Phoenix SLA Annual Conference this past June.  In the tradition of eating the top of the wedding cake, I will thaw a piece on Monday and think of Mary on her special day.

David McQuillan
Map Cataloger
Thomas Cooper Library
University of South Carolina
Columbia. SC  29201

p.s. We are home to the Total Eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017 at 2:41 p.m. EDT for over 2 ˝ minutes.  Come join the fun and I will share some of Mary’s birthday cake with you!