Dear Martin,

I don't know the roller-pulley system you described but can't tell from the
photo if these people were using another non-grid finding aid. The Library
of Congress describes a 1992 *Champion map of Buffalo and Niagara Falls,
New York* as a wall map designed for use with radial index tape-measure.
https://lccn.loc.gov/93685367  Positioning the the tape in specific
directions helped people find locations a specific distance from the
center/centre. For some, this was easier to use than the alpha-numeric grid
system employed by some map companies.

John Stevenson

--
John A. Stevenson
Associate Librarian and Interim Head, Multimedia Collections and Services