Dear Martin,

I don't know the roller-pulley system you described but can't tell from the photo if these people were using another non-grid finding aid. The Library of Congress describes a 1992 Champion map of Buffalo and Niagara Falls, New York as a wall map designed for use with radial index tape-measure. https://lccn.loc.gov/93685367  Positioning the the tape in specific directions helped people find locations a specific distance from the center/centre. For some, this was easier to use than the alpha-numeric grid system employed by some map companies.

John Stevenson