Dear colleagues,

This might be relevant to your students:

For centuries, Amsterdam has been a global hub: from the United Provinces, to the glory of the Dutch Republic, the Dutch capital has been at the heart of many global movements. But what does it mean to be a global city, and how does one come into being?
Why join this programme?
What worldview is embedded in a 16th Century Dutch map of the East Indies? What insights can we gain about daily life in Amsterdam by visiting Rembrandt's The Night Watch? Participants will examine Amsterdam from local and global perspectives, linking specific locations in Amsterdam to the world, tracing global ideas back to Amsterdam. This course uses Amsterdam and its immense material and intellectual history to investigate the linkages between this city and the rest of the world by focusing on a series of historical highlights.
This interdisciplinary programme will ask essential questions: what does it mean to be a global citizen, and when and where did our concept of the global arise? How are art, trade, politics and power intimately interconnected in 17th Century Amsterdam? What parts of history and culture do we celebrate, and what parts do we disguise, hide, or purposely forget, and to what ends?
Amsterdam Series
This programme can be taken either alone or followed by Amsterdam Global City 2. See the other programme page for more details. http://summerschool.uva.nl/content/summer-courses/amsterdam-global-city/amsterdam-global-city.html

Kind regards,
Reinder

Reinder Storm | Cartography, Geography and Travel Curator

Special Collections - University of Amsterdam
Oude Turfmarkt 129, 1012 GC  AMSTERDAM
P.O. Box 94436, 1090 GK  AMSTERDAM NL
T +31(0)20 5252354, F +31 (0)20 5257301
E  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Special Collections UvA:
http://www.bijzonderecollecties.uva.nl/en
Imagedatabase Maps and Atlases:
http://dpc.uba.uva.nl/kaartencollectie