I'm sorry to hear about David.  I met him in the mid-1970s soon after I came to UF.  Another really good librarian gone and so soon after HelenJane.  Even though they weren't working, still they have left us.

virginia      🙋

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018, 21:01 MAPS-L automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Topics of the day:

  1. Innovation in Geospatial/Cartographic Libraries?
  2. ACMLA Bulletin Issue 158 published
  3. Fw: Official Montana 2003-4 Error map...
  4. David McQuillan (2)

Date:    Thu, 22 Mar 2018 21:57:05 +0000
From:    Matthew Toro <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Innovation in Geospatial/Cartographic Libraries?

Hi Everybody,

My name is Matthew Toro. I'm rather new to this community, but have been welcomed warmly by those of you with whom I have already had the pleasure to meet or communicate. Thank you all for that.

I joined Arizona State University nearly 20 months ago to aid with a fundamental reinvention of ASU Library as an organization, as a space, and as a set of community resources, services, and programs. My specific role in this massive undertaking -- reinventing the Library for the 21st century -- is focused specifically on ASU Library's collections of maps, geographic imagery, and geospatial technologies. I am responsible for modernizing and reinventing what was formerly the Library's "Map Collection" into what it is now, the Map and Geospatial Hub<https://lib.asu.edu/geo>. We are striving to revitalize the old map collection into a better curated, more engaging, inspiring, and technology-enabled center for cartographic resources and geospatial technologies for ASU and the broader public community. I'm proud of the progress we've thus far made, but there is still so much more to do.

Being a semi-outsider to the field of map/geospatial librarianship, I know ASU is not the only forward-thinking university library striving to adapt to, and stay ahead of, a rapidly evolving 21st century information and technology ecosystem. So, by way of this brief introduction, I hope to crowdsource from all of you, respected colleagues, information on other institutions pursuing fundamental changes in their delivery of geospatial/cartographic resources. What institutions (or individual professionals) are advancing the frontiers of how academic and community audiences are exposed to, can discover, and can access of geospatial/cartographic resources? Specifically, I'm hoping to learn about libraries that have gone through, or are actively going through significant

*         reductions in their physical collections and/or space footprints,

*         enhancements of their technology infrastructures (such as, e.g., major network connectivity upgrades or new visualization, computing, representation hardware and software, etc.)

*         transformations in their engagement and outreach programming (via, e.g., workshops, events, etc.),

*         massive digitization efforts and creation of digital collections,

*         etc.

That's a lot to ask, but I appreciate in advance any and all willing to generously share their insights on what all of us are collectively facing in one way or another.

Sincerely,
Matt

Matthew Toro
Director | Maps, Imagery, Geospatial Services
ASU Library | lib.asu.edu/geo