New edition of "Stratigraphic Nomenclature and Description" coming soon, with one chapter available for download now.

-a-

From: DMT 2018 - Digital Mapping Techniques <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of David Soller <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 7:35 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Geologic nomenclature and description -- Draft copy of USGS Suggestions to Authors chapter

Colleagues -

The U.S. Geological Survey is in the process of updating the Seventh Edition of "USGS Suggestions to Authors of the Reports of the United States Geological Survey", which was published in 1991.  The Eighth Edition ("STA8") is being written now, and will be published later this year.

In 2017, the Seventh Edition chapter entitled "Stratigraphic Nomenclature and Description" was significantly revised, in part based on comments solicited from a few experienced field geologists.  At this time, as the USGS Science Publishing Network staff continues to write, assemble, and publish STA8, we're pleased to informally release the current (and presumably near-final) draft of that chapter, for your comment and hopefully for your use in geologic maps and reports.  The USGS working group that composed this new chapter, which is now entitled "Geologic Nomenclature and Description”, has made a significant contribution to our science, and deserve our thanks.  I particularly thank our NGMDB project member, Nancy Stamm, for taking a strong role in the writing of this chapter.

The draft chapter is available at the NGMDB "Standards and guidelines" page, in the "Publication Guidelines" section, https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/Info/standards/#PubGuidelines (or you can download it directly from https://ngmdb.usgs.gov/info/docs/USGS-STA8_GeolNomenChapterDRAFT.pdf).  We sincerely hope you find the document useful, to support your science and mapmaking.  Please send all comments and suggestions to the email alias specified on the cover page of that document.

I'd like to also note that in the Publication Guidelines section of that webpage, you'll find previously-released informal Guidelines for Peer Review and for Digital Review.  These are critically important topics, and we hope the information in these documents will prove useful to you.  I encourage you to have a look at these documents, and please let me know if you have any comments that could improve the content.

Thank you!

Dave

Geoscience resource for maps and related data
http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/

Posted by:

Angie Cope
AGS Library, UW Milwaukee Libraries
2311 E. Hartford Avenue
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53211

M-F 8:00am-4:30pm  [log in to unmask]  (414)229-6282
43°03'8"N 87°57'21"W
1505846149570_image001.png