There's also an essay in the summer 1995 (issue 33) of The Portolan: Dr. Ristow’s Work at the New York Public Library During World War II. A summary by Nancy Goddin Miller of a presentation to the Society by Alice Hudson. For those of you who are members, you can download a digital copy of that issue, with the article mentioned (and I think the one Paige was referencing).

      Joel Kovarsky

On 5/27/18 11:56 PM, PJ Mode wrote:

Julie, you've probably already been there, but if not, there's useful material from a Google search of Arthur Robinson OSS.

​PJ Mode​

______________________

On Sat, May 26, 2018 at 11:55 AM, Paige G. Andrew <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Julie,

I am remembering that Alice Hudson wrote an article on someone (Walter Ristow?) in which she covered aspects of when they worked on OSS maps. Published in SLA G&M Bulletin? or maybe Meridian? John Anderson at LSU would be an excellent resource as he has done a lot of research on OSS maps in his collection.

Paige

From: "Julie Sweetkind-Singer" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2018 2:59:00 PM
Subject: OSS maps question

Hi, all,

I’m researching the history of the Office of Strategic Services (OSS) maps in order to learn more about our collections.  I’ve been searching for papers on this collection specifically and have yet to find a good article about the map production themselves – why, how the topics were chosen, etc.  Anyone know of work in this area?  I’ll keep searching, too, but thought I’d ask the collective mind.   Thanks!

Best,

Julie

# # #

Julie Sweetkind-Singer

Assistant Director of Geospatial and Cartographic Services

Head, Branner Earth Sciences Map Library & Map Collections

397 Panama Mall, 2nd floor

Stanford University

Stanford, CA 94305

650-725-1102