Hi all,

I have a calculating scale question.  This map I’m cataloging has a bar scale.  I measured the bar, did the math, and got the ratio.

Just for the fun of it I also measured between 2 points on the map, as far apart as the map would allow, obviously much greater than the bar scale, then measured between the same 2 points on google maps, and again did the math.  The difference was about 10%.  Which calculation would you trust?  Granted, either entries in the 255 would be an approximation.  A potential issue could be divergent projections etc.  Any suggestions?

Rick Grapes

BYU Map Cataloger