A Web friend & Vietnam historian, Manh Hai, has aggregated over 87,000 photos of his homeland on Flickr.  He asks:

On the 1895 map 'Plan des Environs de Saigon' in my map collection, there are many places indicated by the abbreviation Mon Cne - the on and ne are raised and underlined. At first I thought it might be something like 'Maison Caserne' for a type of guard house, but that doesn't seem to make sense since there are so many of them in so many places. Later I guessed Cne may stands for cabane, but I'm not sure.

Can anyone please offer some assistance?

Thank you.

Jim

James Speed Hensinger

Facebook_Icon_email_sig_file LinkedIn_Logo_2[log in to unmask]:%20">Twitter_Logo_JSH_Email