Dear Jim,

On behalf of my colleague, prof. dr F.J. Ormeling: he suggests that this might be short for ‘Maison de Commune’ e.g. something like town hall, supposing that (the environment of) Saigon consists of quite a few suburbs, villages or ‘dessa’s’ - that (in those days) all had their own town hall etc.

Kind regards from Amsterdam,

Reinder

Reinder Storm | Cartography, Geography and Travel Curator

Special Collections - University of Amsterdam

Oude Turfmarkt 129, 1012 GC  AMSTERDAM

P.O. Box 94436, 1090 GK  AMSTERDAM NL

T +31(0)20 5252354, F +31 (0)20 5257301

Special Collections UvA: