Could you be thinking of Jeremy Crampton's article on Arthur Robinson's
work at the OSS
<https://icaci.org/files/documents/ICC_proceedings/ICC2011/Oral%20Presentations%20PDF/B4-Maps,%20GIS,%20security%20and%20planning/CO-174.pdf>
?

Julie, you've probably already been there, but if not, there's useful
material from a Google search of Arthur Robinson OSS.

​PJ Mode​