From: Loude Jean-Francois [mailto:[log in to unmask]]

Sent: 06 May 2018 11:07

To: <[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]> <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: [rete] One more pair of Mercator Globes

A few years ago, two large globes kept in the Astronomy Department of the University of Lausanne (Switzerland) had been at last tentatively identified as 16th century Mercator Globes. After a long and thorough procedure of scientific examination, their authenticity is now beyond any reasonable doubt. A temporary exhibition at Lausanne ("Terra Incognita", open until July 15) displays the restored pair of globes (the terrestrial one published in 1541 and the celestial one in 1551) and puts them in their historical context.

A dedicated Web site ( <http://wp.unil.ch/mercator >) allows the viewer to look at the globes in many ways, describes in details the scientific investigation leading to their authentification and adds a lot of information about them.

Jean-François LOUDE

Professor emeritus

SB-IPEP-LPHE

EPFL-BSP