Matt,

The following are my opinions only, but based on experiences here at Penn State. A large portion of our large maps collection is housed off-campus in an Annex complex in their own room with map cabinets. The key thing you want to do is make sure to provide information about where the maps are stored (the annex) and if possible, even where within that location (where inside the Annex building if the collection is segregated in one room or corner or floor or similar). Its key that each title (map, though keeping in mind one title can have multiple sheets) have its own "address" (in my world its usually a call number, but if your collection is arranged differently, such as via accession numbers or even a geographic textual mechanism then use whatever can specifically identify a map(s) uniquely).

I think your best bet is to create a spreadsheet and populate it with key descriptive elements, which should include:

Call number or similar unique identifier
Title
Variant title (most maps have at least two titles, particularly those folded up or folded into something like an envelope)
"Author" (personal or corporate, if known)
Scale
Date of publication (approximate if you have to)
Notes of importance (probably associated with internal info about the map)

And, if you already have a strong subject-type connection go ahead and include that piece too, especially the name of a geographic place.

The goal here is to create an inventory so you know what you have down to the title level and so that an individual map can be found by you or someone else once they are moved offsite to the annex location. Don't worry about describing things, worry about findability, and thus accuracy of the data input is important.

If you want a formal metadata schema to follow or use as a template in crafting those data types and one that is pretty simple I would recommend using Dublin Core, modified by making sure to add the Scale information at minimum:

http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

There are 15 core elements as you will see, and you don't have to use the exact label for these, substitute a label that makes the most sense to you, e.g. DC element name "identifier" might be changed to "call number" or "accession number". The other key thing here is that you can see they have defined each element and how its to be used, it would be worthwhile to document not only the list of spreadsheet column labels you choose but to draft a similar document to be used with the spreadsheet making similar definitions that work for you and your organization.

Down the road potentially this spreadsheet data could be repurposed for creating true descriptive catalog records and you will have saved some time already in that broader process.

Good luck!

Paige Andrew
Cartographic Resources Cataloging Librarian
Penn State University Libraries
Pennsylvania State University