Angie,

Asbestos can be used in the manufacture of molded plastics: https://www.levylaw.com/asbestos-plastics/ . With respect to specific use in raised relief maps, I do not know. From that online discussion:

 "What kinds of finished products were made from asbestos-containing plastics? Most often, the asbestos was added to plastics that would ultimately be used in high-heat applications. These included plastics used in the automotive industry, high-performance plastics for the aerospace industry, electric and electro-mechanical parts and applications (e.g., switches, circuit breakers, arc chutes), and heavy appliances. However, since many finished plastic products were components of larger machines or equipment, it is quite possible that any plastic manufacturer may have used asbestos-containing plastics at one time or another."

                  Joel

On 7/24/18 12:46 PM, Angela R Cope wrote:

From: David Medeiros <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 11:41 AM
To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.
Cc: Angela R Cope
Subject: Re: Was asbestos used in production of raised relief maps

Never heard of it being used, but I'm not an expert. High density foam, plaster and wood are probably the most common materials. I might try to get in touch with Tom Patterson from the US NPS. He's an expert on relief mapping and may have some  background in physical relief models.

http://www.shadedrelief.com/

David Medeiros

Stanford Geospatial Center

mapbliss.com