Perhaps a material safety data sheet (MSDS)?

From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Zellmer, Linda
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:34 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Hazardous items in the Map Collection

ATTENTION: This email came from an external source. Do not open attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails.

Hello,

I have been monitoring the discussion of asbestos in the production of raised relief maps. Many years ago, I remember getting a hazardous materials notice on Nautical Charts. Turns out that the ink in them contains Formaldehyde, at least it did at one time. Thus, when I dispose of Nautical Charts, I mark them as DO NOT RECYCLE.

I have forgotten the name of the form that I received, but I know that I sent a message to Maps-L about it many years ago.

This is probably something to consider when downsizing a map collection.

Linda Zellmer

--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian