I’m in no way an expert on this, but a little Googling suggests that if the plastic map image sheets to be thermoformed were flexographic prints, there may have been asbestos in the flexographic matrix boards and rubber printing plates:

http://www.lipsitzponterio.com/jobsites-occupations-Flexographic_Printer_Asbestos_Exposure.html

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20100102476

(the raised relief map patent was cited by a flexographic plate patent)

I did visit Hubbard Scientific Co.s’ map factory back in the mid 70’s – the vacu-form machines certainly had large heating elements, the company was founded in 1961, and Irving Selikoff’s major paper on asbestos biological effects wasn’t published until 1965, so one supposes asbestos might have been used in the machinery/processes utilized for relief map production up to 1970 (Clean Air Act, Section 112), at least…

Edward A. Sullivan, III
Senior Technical Associate

Email: [log in to unmask]

Economic & Planning Systems (EPS)
One Kaiser Plaza, Suite 1410
Oakland, CA 94612
T 510-841-9190
www.epsys.com

Due to the potential that information exchanged by electronic media can deteriorate, be damaged, lost or modified, intentionally or otherwise, use of this electronic data by anyone other than Economic & Planning Systems, Inc. shall be at the sole risk of such user and without liability or legal exposure to Economic & Planning Systems, Inc.

The recipient is responsible for verifying the accuracy of data against governing hard copy documentation.  If there is a discrepancy between the hard copy and the electronic copy, the hard copy will govern.

Recipient assumes all risks in the changing or modification of data and revisions or updating of hard copy documents.