Thanks for sharing this Linda! Back in the 1990s I wrote an article on this topic that was published in the WAML IB after what we did locally to procure two map-specific oversized mobile trucks to use in transporting maps either flat or rolled. The Cataloging Department is physically separated from our collections by great distances (no matter where the map collection has been housed over the years, though the exception for awhile was that it was one floor below us) so the idea was to be able to use these map trucks to transport items to and from the map collection to us for work. Didn't quite happen that way, in reality the trucks became oversized shelving units BUT since they each have multiple shelves the design lends itself well to managing multiple cataloging project workflows simultaneously. They might be big and bulky but they have proven extremely valuable in our cataloging work from several perspectives including preservation of the maps.

Paige

________________________________
From: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc. <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Zellmer, Linda <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2018 1:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Map Cart

Hello,

Every so often, we have shared pictures of our map carts. I have access to a large (heavy) flat cart for moving maps when I need to move a lot of them, but generally carry them back and forth when I am only moving a few. You can see a picture of it at: http://faculty.wiu.edu/LR-Zellmer/Map_Cart.jpg<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffaculty.wiu.edu%2FLR-Zellmer%2FMap_Cart.jpg&data=02%7C01%7Cpga2%40psu.edu%7Ce9f9c11ee4cc44b49edf08d623d4d03e%7C7cf48d453ddb4389a9c1c115526eb52e%7C0%7C0%7C636735794291208054&sdata=stq17oLEo%2FGUrK02HYiUtROLxexoQFbTbhMMr6y0UZo%3D&reserved=0>

The top measures 76 X 122 cm (or 30 x 48 inches). Thought others might find it of interest.

I have no idea of the make and model. Linda Zellmer
--
Linda Zellmer
Government Information & Data Services Librarian