Dear Maps-L,

We are currently researching file formats to use for archiving geospatial data and are looking for best practices to preserve data for future use.

At present we are considering using GeoTIFF for raster data and GeoJSON for vector data. The lack of standardised styling in GeoJSON might be a concern and so perhaps GML (Simple Features Profile) is an option. Much of the vector data is currently in PostGIS and would have to be exported/transformed.

I have been looking at these guidelines:

https://www.dpconline.org/docs/technology-watch-reports/363-preserving-geospatial-data-by-guy-mcgarva-steve-morris-and-gred-greg-janee/file

which are excellent but now eight years old and don’t mention GeoJSON for example.

I would be grateful if anyone could offer advice or share other guidelines that they use.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

Gethin

Dr Gethin Rees