From: Tom Hanley <[log in to unmask]>

Sent: Friday, October 19, 2018 3:45 PM
To: Maps-L: Map Librarians, etc.
Subject: Re: Air photo instruction for a single class meeting -- one shot exercise

You might look for John Wagner, Geology, Clemson (possibly retired). He worked on SCMaps, a bunch of exercises that introduced the geography and geology of the various regions of South Carolina. He expanded this with exercises for all of the southeast US, SEMAPS, an NSF sponsored project. All exercises are available at Clemson. The exercises used imagery of all kinds and some historical sequences were part of some exercises.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Christopher Thiry
All,

Have any of you done one-shot instruction regarding air photos?  If so, could you please tell what worked, what didn't, etc.?

Or can you point me to some articles or books on the subject.

Here's what's going on:
I have been approached by a professor who is teaching a course on the history of the environment/environmental movements.  He thought it would be a great exercise for students to examine a historical runs of air photos of a single place.  We have those resources for Colorado.  I picked out several sites with each focusing on a different topic--forest harvest, mining, growth of skiing, death of a mining town, building of highways, plus a few more.

The concept I am working on: students will be broken into small (3-5 people) groups.  Each group will get a different set of photos.  Each set will be of the same place over time--between 3 and 5 photos ranging in date from the 1930s to the 2000s. We will ask the students to compare and contrast.  What has change?  What hasn't?  Why do you think so?  What more can change?  Do a quick oral report on what you discovered.

I would do an introduction with example.  I will scan all the photos used so we all can see them on the screen.  We will not reveal where things are so as not bias their opinions, although people might be able to identify things.

We will have the entire 50 minutes of the class.  I am certain the professor will like to talk before, during, and after.  I thought I would give the students 5-10 minutes to examine things.  2-3 minutes for each group to report.

Thoughts?
Will the students be frustrated or fascinated?

Learning outcomes that I want:
--exposure to the Library's air photo collection.
--familiarity with possibilities and limits of air photos

Skills used/gained by students:
--ability to think creatively regarding what they are seeing (detective skills)

I would love to hear about your experiences with similar exercises.  Or if you can point me to other people or resources.

Many thanks in advance,

Christopher J.J. Thiry
Map & GIS Librarian
Academic Outreach Coordinator